chick chirp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shotgun707, Dec 2, 2011.

1. shotgun707

shotgun707 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    my 3 chicks havent really chirper alot buy today its getting kinda loud?what do i do

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    First off welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

I would be sure to get them under the proper heat.
    Week 1 85*, Week 2 80*, week 3 75* and drop until the 7th week. At week 5 let them outside during the days to start getting used to the cold air of Winter all day and bring them in at night until the end of week 7 and out in the coop they go with no additional heat for the remainder of their lives. By week 8 they have enough down feathers and top coat feathers to regulate their own body heat.

Make sure you have given them ample room to get out of the heat if it is to hot for them. Example if they are gathered in the middle of the heat in a group it may be to cold. If they are surrounding the heat and staying at the edges it may be to hot. The flock together anyway as siblings to create group warm and shift from outside to inside as they get hot and cold in a group. If they are peeping like crying non stop something may be wrong but its healthy for them to be vocal but you will know if they are crying. When sleeping they do a kind of purr and its there peeping sleeping peeping LOL!! [​IMG]

Medicated chick feed is a must
    Vitamins in the water optional but recommended.
    Proteins, proteins and more proteins at a young age. hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese. Remember everything in moderation. They are baby's and have baby stomachs so easy a she goes. Good luck to you.

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    If they are clustered in a fuzz pile near the heat source and chirping loudly, then you need to up the temp a couple of degrees.

If they are spread out and doing their best to hide from the heat source and chirping loudly, it's a bit hot and you need to drop the temp.

If they are spread out all over the place, not panting, seem to be content in position, and still chirping loudly, then they have probably figured out that your shadow over the brooder means its dinner time and they are calling for the waiter to take their order.

They will also become more vocal as they grow and start to strain the space within the brooder. If you have checked and confirmed that everything else is okay, you may try pulling half out and moving them to a new spot to give them both some more room. This is more likely if they have hit that 2-3 week stage

4. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    If they are spread out all over the place, not panting, seem to be content in position, and still chirping loudly, then they have probably figured out that your shadow over the brooder means its dinner time and they are calling for the waiter to take their order.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. shotgun707

shotgun707 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    what week can i give them hard boiled eggs:/

6. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    week 3 or so start with the yoke and then your off

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by