Chick Clear nasal discharge, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6hensJen, Apr 7, 2017.

1. 6hensJen

6hensJen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Hi everyone, I'm new to chickens so would appreciate any help. Several of my 9 week old chicks are doing little sneezes and releasing a clear watery discharge. They seem otherwise completely happy and healthy. Their eyes are bright, they all have plenty of energy are eating well (medicated chick fe├Ęd plus scatter grains and bugs, weeds etc they find in their run) they're all growing well and seem themselves (five of the six are cuddlers [​IMG]) their droppings also appear totally normal and their crops are full at night and empty by morning. should I be worried about this or is it a normal chicken trait? We have a high pollen count right now, do chickens get hay fever ? Any input appreciated, thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did your chicks come from a hatchery or a breeder? Have they been exposed to other older chickens? Sneezing and a runny nose is not normal with chicks, unless they have been exposed to viruses, mold fungus, or bacterial infections. They can occasionally sneeze from dusty conditions or dust in feed. Watch for watery eyes or foam in the eyes, or swelling of the eyelids. Make sure that there is food overhead air circulation, and prevent wet, dusty, conditions, or ammonia odors from droppings. Make sure they are drinking well, and probiotics can help.

3. 6hensJen

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Thanks for the reply. They have probiotics in their water and their food and water are in the run under their coop to keep dry but plenty of air. They have been outside in their coop/run for a week, I wonder if it's the dust?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be. Were they from a hatchery, a breeder, or did you hatch them?

5. 6hensJen

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    I got them from Wilco so I'm guessing a large hatchery is where they came from. Is there something I can try OTC or do you think I should just take them to the vet? It's also really humid and damp here in OR so we get a lot of molds etc although their coop and run are covered so they are nice and dry.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Unless they have been exposed to older chickens, they may just be having some environmental sneezing from dust or mold. Feed can also cause sneezing occasionally. You are already giving probiotics, so unless they start looking droopy or stop eating, they are probably okay. Things to look out for would be not eating, standing around puffed up or hunched, and bubbles or foam in one or both eyes.

7. 6hensJen

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    I'll keep my eye out for any of the things you mentioned and get them straight to the vets if they get any other symptoms. As I said they seem very happy and healthy other than the sniffles so fingers crossed it's just their new environment and sorts itself out, appreciate the info, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by