Chick cold.? :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SammileeChickie, Mar 16, 2015.

1. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Both my chickies are sneezing and rubbing their beaks on the floor. Not constantly but every now and then. They wiped their beak on me and it felt kind of wet so could they be sick :( is this deadly.? [​IMG]

2. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I forgot to say that they are acting normal, they get up and eat and drink water chirp to each other and then sleep. But they sneeze occasionally and it's like they have boogers. They wipe their beaks on the floor (I use puppy pee pads)
    Is this okay.? :(

3. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Rubbing their beaks on the floor is how they "clean" them. Sneezing is also clearing out the nose holes. Sounds all normal. As for the runny sneeze did they drink water before they sneezed? If so they are pushing the water out that reached their snout.

4. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Thank you for replying I was getting worried.! :(
    No it's not right after they drink water. I was looking closely at their uhhh, beak holes.? Their nose holes I have no idea what you would call it on a bird xD but I was looking closely at it to see if it's clogged or leaky but it's not they are clean :)

5. DemonicFowl

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

Lol, there called narse (birds nostrils) I wasn't sure on the spelling (just looked it up) so I just said nose holes. I'm a really bad speller :D... glade to hear their not sick.

6. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Haha.! Thank you [​IMG] do you know when I should worry about them being sick.?

7. DemonicFowl

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

If they get sluggish, start to lose interest in eating and drinking, Constant abnormal droppings such as diarrhea, mucus from the nares and or start to lose the ability to walk/flopin around like there's something wrong. Sav-a-chick has supplements that can aid in recovery if something pop's up.

8. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    They are on sav a chick right now, the store I baught them at recommended it. But what is diarrhea for chicks.? Is it like all liquid.? One of my chicks has like solid/ liquid poo while the other is all solid.

9. DemonicFowl

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

Diarrhea would be constant liquid poos and the chick would be losing weight or show stiffness in movement as they are expelling the needed liquid/nutrition to keep them hydrated/nourished.

1 person likes this.
  10. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Okay phew.! My chick is nothing like that :) thank you for helping me so much.! You have taken away so much anxiety for the health of my chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by