Chick Coloration Questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Livinwright Farm, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    What can I look forward to for colorations by crossing my BLRW roo with my various hens(SLW, GLW, BA, BG, EE)?
    Here is a pic of Sour & some pics of the girls:
    [​IMG]
    These are the ones I am most curious about for coloration of their chicks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, more specifically, what colorations come from crossing the SLW & BLRW..?? do you get blue laced silvers??

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Never did that combo, but pretty much its up in the air. I hatched a buff orp/black jersey and it was Black with white lacing it was weird. The boys that came from same hatch were mostly white go figure. Good Luck. It will be like surprise grab bag.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    the posabilities are endless with such a variaty..
    But do show pics when they hatch...

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

It's really hard to say.. Due to mixing... A lot of birds have recessive genes that could throw a color completely different from their parents..

Also some will chage colors several time until maturity.

For example, my Serama rooster was a chocolate color when hatched, turned almost black through his first feathering, then when his adult feathers grew in he was a dark brown, with silver and green saddle feathers...

I have one little mixed cock that had a barred rock mother, and a Australorp father, he is white, pure white, with about 3 barred black feathers in his tail.. lol

5. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    I know for the most part it is a grab bag for coloration concerning the EE crosses... as even breeding to virtually identical EEs will constantly throw varying colorations.

The biggest curiousity for me are the BLRW/SLW crosses... I was told a while back(unsure how true it is) that BLRWs come from crossing SLW & GLW... that the black trim on the SLW + the black trim on the GLW causes the black trim to be canceled out causing the varying shades of blue-ish grey. Just wondering if the cancellation would continue to the opffspring and cause blue-ish laced silvers? or if the black is dominant enough to be passed to the chicks.... [​IMG]

6. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:? anyone ?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay, one thing to consider is that he's a Splash Laced Red, not BLR - So you're gonna get 100% blue in the offspring.

Next, those EE's are mostly just gold duckwing in color, sooo. . . .

SLR x BBR - Partially blue laced birds. Since duckwing and the base of BLR, partridge, work together well - the lacing will stay, and in fact be in "patches" around the body from good lacing to very poor lacing, looking more like spangling. The mahogany gene from the Wyandotte won't show up too well though, so the offspring will mainly be a blue laced gold, however in the males they'll look blue laced red. You're going to get other foreign colors and patterns from the duckwing in there too though. Each chick will vary a little as it grows up.

To me EE's are only a "grabbag" if you don't understand what color the original parents are, because honestly I think most are simply duckwing based or white, a lot having columbian or melanizers, some having blue or splash, etc. . .

But all in all, you'll have some VERY pretty Easter Eggers! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I think Illia pretty well summed up my thoughts ; but if that one EE is a blue mix , she could produce some chicks with splash patterns or lacing which appears white like your roo's lacing . They should be some gorgeous colors IMO .

9. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:I hope you read this as it's meant, no bad attitude, but as someone who is relatively new to focussing on breeds and breeding, and is now more than a little confused.

I thought splash meant speckled... [​IMG] ?? I purchased him and his matching hen( Sweet pictured w/ Sour below ) as chicks from the Murray McMurray hatchery as pure bred BLRWs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    I will most definitely be posting picks of his mixed breed offspring!! I will make a new topic, in roughly 7-10 days entitled Sour's Offspring Pics So you all know what to be looking for [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by