Chick colors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buster, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have a lot of eggs coming in March. I am wondering how hard it will be to tell the breeds apart when they hatch. This is what I've come up with:

Buff Orps- Yellow chick
    Barred Rocks- Black chick with spot on head?
    Speckled Sussex- Dark chipmunk color
    Rhode Island Red- reddish chick
    Delaware- yellow chick- thefeathersite shows one chick and it looks variegated (color shifts from yellow to almost white)
    Blue-laced Red Wyandotte- I looked at Feathersite.com and saw what they look like so that shouldn't be a problem. I guess the only two in question will be the dels and the BO.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most of the time the SS and the BLRWs will look very similar except the SS have a different shade of red to them.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

With the BO's and Delawares that I've had, the Delaware chicks were a little lighter yellow than the BO's, but I'm not sure how reliable that will be since the BO's seem to vary a little bet anyway. Oh, wait a minute, the BO's should have white legs and I believe the Dellie's should have yellow (if I remember right). I'll have to check that out!

Sounds like you've got some nice babies coming! Are you ready for all those eggs???!!! [​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks for that skeeter.

I'm more than ready for all those eggs! I can hardly wait! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Buster I didn't get my chicks from McMurray, but...McMurray does have pics on the webpage of each breed that shows what each chick looks like. They are actual pics, not drawings.
    I used that as a guide to tell the one of two chicks (a cochin) that I ordered for another BYCer from my brahmas and to tell my dark brahmas from the buff brahmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by