1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Colour

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kamivy, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Kamivy

Kamivy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    I wasnt sure where the best place to ask this was, I'm not after the breed or sex, I'm asking about colour. I have Araucanas. I have a dominant white and a recessive white hen, 2 blues, a splash and a black hen in with a black roo. I was expecting blue and black chick's, with a few dominant whites. Among the expected blues and blacks and couple of whites, I also got 4 of these little guys. Almost buff coloured in patches, yellow in others, with a remnant of a brown wild type stripe down the middle of their backs and a black line down back of their neck. Primaries are just coming out and are white and black speckled. At first I just thought they were just leaky whites, but the wing feathers seem to have far too much colour variation, almost as if every feather will be black and white patterned rather than the odd black splodge. Any ideas as to what colour they are supposed to be? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I'm no geneticist, but if their's one thing I have learned from raising chicks is you never go by initial chick color. I've had birds that change their feathering up to three times before they finally settle into their final plumage.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    that's true

4. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Canada
    Same here. I thought we had a Plymouth Rock and we ended up have a Black Sex Link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by