Chick concern

Mwflock

In the Brooder
May 15, 2021
I am new to raising chicks and chicks are 5 days old. I have one that yesterday and this morning I noticed hangs out under the heat plate almost constantly, it will drink frequentlywhen I get it to water but only eats a little. It then darts under the plate, It was quite active the first few days but seems to just want to hang out now. I have tried giving it a little sugar water that it drinks and offered some small scrambled eggs but does not seem interested in the eggs to much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is the ambient temperature in the room or brooder?
You can sprinkle some feed under the heat plate.
I switched to a lamp during the day today to see if she was just cold. I was thinking that it was fine with just the plate warmer as all the other chicks were active and would go in and out.

Update, I took a closer look at her and noticed a small amount of poop on her vent cleaned it up. And between the light and that she seems to be doing better running around more and eating much better. Thank you

How is your chick?
Is it pooping? What's that like?

I would try giving it 2-3 drops of poultry nutri-drench twice a day. Make sure she's getting fluids frequently even if only a few drops at a time. You can offer some wet feed as well.
Can you feel her crop? Is there anything in it?

Back
Top Bottom