Chick Condo with pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shesell, Nov 14, 2009.

1. shesell

shesell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Deland, FL
    Hello to everyone! It has been forever since I've posted, but I am finally posting pictures of our Chicken Condo! It has been finished for some time now, but there has been so much going on that posting has taken a back burner. Everything you see was either discounted or recycled except for the roofing material. Our chickens love it. Thanks to everyone here for their great ideas. Oh, and I am so happy we made the house and the run bigger than we originally thought we would. I think my babies are happier that way!
    Sheila

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] LOVE all the windows!! A bright coop just seems like a happier place... [​IMG]

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    VERY nice! [​IMG]

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Oh that is WONDERFUL!!!!
    Bright & Cheerful!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Very nice.

6. shesell

shesell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Deland, FL
    Thanks for the kind words! Here is one more pic. It shows how tall we made it, as well. We did that to increase ventilation for the babies. We live in Central FL and this summer was tough but, our birds stayed comfortable. Also, you can't see it here, but we buried a 5 gal. bucket about 1/3 in the ground and then built rock around it to allow the chicks to drink out of it. It's decorative and the water stays cooler! I'll try and get a pic for that, too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    That is adorable!!!!

8. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Muy, muy Bueno!!! That's one nice house! Love the way you used all the recycled stuff to make it! Beautiful!!!

9. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    very nice coop.. love the doors

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Tall, airy, well ventilated. Looks good. You will be so glad that you can easily access it and stand comfortably in it. Are nests bump-out boxes? I see a pop door on right hand side too. Is it a guillotine type for closing at night ? How id PVC roost working? I went with 2 X 2's.

I would add a 24" tall roll of chicken wire on inside to keep chooks from sticking their heads through it. Coons will decapitate them quickly, and they will all be poking their heads thru and be distracted by that morsel that they see, just out of reach when Mr Raccoon strikes. Also be thinking about a fence charger with about 4 courses of hot wire around perimeter and including gate. Coons cam climb and so can cats, AND even foxes and coyotes and hounds have been known to climb into a pen. I owned a hound that climbed out of a picket fenced enclosure. He couldn't jump it but he sure could climb it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by