1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick confusion

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CARLOTTA, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CARLOTTA

CARLOTTA New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    My neighbors chicken had chicks at our place and he said they were Black Australorps. We just got our first chicks and we have 1 one that is not like the others and looking at the website it is a Silver Ameraucana. How did this happen? The hen hatched two and a week later two others attempted to hatch and she wasn't sitting on them so I took them in (the Silver and a Australorp). Any suggestions? They are a week and a half now.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Black Australorps are not all black at hatch. They can have a lot of white and silver on them. When they molt into their adult feathers, they will then be all black. Do you have any pics of this baby that we can see here? Then maybe we can help you discover what this baby really is! [​IMG]

Enjoy your new babies!

3. CARLOTTA

CARLOTTA New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is when the hen had 11 chicks in my horses stall.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    These are mom and dad at 5 months

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Mom and dad with the two she kept - they look like their parents did at this age.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3

Photo 1 & 2: This is the little guy that looks nothing like his parents did or his siblings. He also seems to be bigger than everyone.
    Photo 3 is the two I have and the black one looks like the two mom has.

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What cute chicks! It looks like the birds are mixes, pure Australorps are a solid black bird (the feathers will have a green shine to them)... so depending on what the parents are mixes of, the chicks could be various colors.

6. CARLOTTA

CARLOTTA New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Both of the parents have the greenish sheen to them. I don't know what their mom was (here is her picture with the 11 chicks) but as I mentioned when I told the neighbor his hen was going to bring him home 11 new mouths to feed he looked at them and told me what they were. I wish they could stay small forever.[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. CARLOTTA

CARLOTTA New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    I love how cute they are. When the hen had them she didn't know us so we couldn't get close to them until I started giving them treats. She never did trust us but they would follow me for goodies.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, mommas are very protective of their babies. And unfortunately, babies grow up. :-(

BUT...they never stop being cute, cuddly, affectionate and adorable. My hens are lap babies, follow me around like stalkers looking for goodies and a soft lap, and they just love attention. Not to mention the gorgeous eggs they lay. [​IMG]

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it possible other hens laid eggs in the nest, when momma was away (eating or ???)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by