Chick crack?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginamomdoc, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ginamomdoc

ginamomdoc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    We fed our 12 day old chicks mealworms for the first time and they went beserk, now they fly onto any arm put into their space looking for a worm fix. My kids are thrilled, but how many can we feed them per day? They otherwise only get non-medicated chick starter and water.

2. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    We started out with one or two per chick... but after just seconds, the whole cup of 50 were gone!! Not sure how often, or how many is too many. Not sure I could count on my chicks to tell me when enough is enough either!
    They were a riot with a halved watermelon one day too!!

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Yeah, we can go through a whole can too!!!!! I usually just put a bunch on a plate, and make sure everyone gets at least 1!!!! I only give them every other day, but since chickens dig up bugs while free-ranging, I can't imagine there would be a limit. Steph

4. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I dumped a tub of 250ct wax worms that I had left over from trout season into the coop the other week and man I thought they were gonna tackle me to see if I had more!! now anytime I go in there with anything that looks like a waxworm container I hounded til back out the door!!!

5. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    I grab up the moths and bugs that work their way through open doors and offer them to the chicks, and they launch themselves at me now everytime I change out water or feed dishes like something out of a hitchcock film

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by