Chick crop not a chest tumor

chickenbutt

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 8, 2007
Richmond, Virginia
Last night I was walking the chicks around the yard and they were eating bugs and chick food I was throwning down. When cuddle time came around I picked all of them up and thought "Oh no they all have chest tumors!" and I was really sad. I checked though some posts here and found out it is their crop and it is where they store their food before it is digested. I was so happy. Learning about chickens is fun. This is my first flock.

When it is dark out I take them out of the brooder and they fight for my lap. I had one on my left leg, 6 on the other leg, and one on my shoulder. My husband said I looked like Ace Ventura.

gig.gif
Their crops sure can get big, huh? I used to do crop checks on them all the time (still do once in awhile).

I used to sneak out at 2am (when everyone in the house was finally asleep) to go hang out in the garage with the girls. I'm sure my husband thinks I'm CRAZY!

Btw, my dog's name is Charlie, too. Best dog I've ever had. Must be the name (although my girl Annie is ALSO a good dog.. just not the same as Charlie, the Choc. Huskadore <from before designer dogs were cool!)

-Meghan

Queen, yes Charlie is a good dog. He is a 15 week old black lab. He likes to nudge all the chicks with his nose - under strict supervision! My husband named him. I like naming animals after Jim Henson characters or random things. So far the chicks are Fizzgig (Dark Crystal), Bender (Futurama), Billina (The Return to Oz), Dinosaur and I have a hard time telling the rest apart. I have the brooder in the basement of our new house so now it smells like chicks. Soon they will move to the bathtub and then to the coop as soon as we build it. They are poor tyson chicks so they grow fast. I restrict their food. One flew out of the box last night when I was taking the rest out. They are so loving.

Back
Top Bottom