1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chick crumb as a treat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JemimaP, Jun 22, 2018.

1. JemimaP

JemimaP Songster

May 24, 2018
    UK
    I have 10 week old Pekin Bantams and they’re not keen on their growers pellets but I keep them in their run til midday so I know they’ve had at least some food with the right nutrition then I let them out to freerange. I’ve tried a few different treats to get them back in their run later and they go mad for the chick crumb that I have left over from when I got them.
    Is it ok for them to have chick crumb as a treat?

2. PetesChicks

PetesChicks Songster

Aug 21, 2016
    Southbridge, MA
    That should be fine. If anything the chick crumbles probably have higher nutrition.

sylviethecochin and JemimaP like this.
  3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I'm feeding my 2 year olds a 18% Protein Non-Medicated chick crumb, as you call it. 20180528_115151.jpg .
    My girls feather pick on 16% Layers feed. GC

JemimaP likes this.
  4. JemimaP

JemimaP Songster

May 24, 2018
    UK
    Thanks @GC-Raptor , I’m new to this, why do you think they feather pick? What’s the relationship to lower protein levels and feather picking? That’s really interesting.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I witnessed feather picking last summer. I was feeding a 18% Layers feed to my hens with no problems, everyone was happy and looking good.
    I decided I wanted to switch to a feed with Flax, to increase the Omega 3s in the egg up to 5 times.
    Well after some hesitation to the lower Protein, (I read Duel Purpose chickens need at least a 17% Protein feed), I decided to go for it. I changed over gradually last May.
    They loved the feed and the only change at first was a slight decrease in egg production.
    Slowly over a couple of months their feathers started to lose their sheen and had a tattered look.
    They were more aggressive and I witnessed feather plucking.
    So after 3 bags of feed for 5 hens, I switched to a different brand with 18% Protein Soy-Free Layers feed with Flax.
    Within a month I noticed better behavior. In 3 months their feathers looked much better and fuller.
    I no longer buy that feed because I could not find a fresh bag. The last bag went bad before it was used up. Egg production dropped suddenly and I noticed feed consumption was less.
    I checked the feed and it looked Ok, but had a strong smell.
    I immediately bought a fresh bag of Non-Medicated Start & Grow 18% Protein. I thoroughly washed the feeder and refilled with the fresh feed. In just 2 days egg production was back to normal.
    I only have 3 hens, lost 2 earlier this year. A 40# bag goes bad before its used up. I can get Start & Grow in a 25# bag, lasts around 7 weeks this time of year.
    In my experience keeping feed in my house at room temperature the previous feed went bad at 5 months 1 week past mill date. GC

JemimaP likes this.
  6. JemimaP

JemimaP Songster

May 24, 2018
    UK
    That’s so interesting thank you! I’ll keep a look out for that.
    I bought a 20kg bag of pellets not realising how little they eat! (I’m a newbie with 4 bantams) I’ll be lucky if the eat 5% of the bag before it goes off!!! Gah!

GC-Raptor likes this.
  7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Live and learn. I've had chickens for 26 months and I'm still learning. But enjoy every minute with my girls. 20180514_172140.jpg . GC

JemimaP likes this.
  8. HenniesInMyHeart

HenniesInMyHeart Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Colorado
    If you want, separate out portions from the bulk bag and seal them, either with a vacuum sealer or ziplocks where you squeeze or suck out as much air as possible then keep it somewhere cool, dark and dry. Fridge is fine if you have room. That way you won't waste feed!

9. JemimaP

JemimaP Songster

May 24, 2018
    UK
    Good idea!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: