chick crumb to growers??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ukchickengirl, Oct 11, 2007.

1. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - my 2 chicks are doing really well (will post pics again soon!) but just wondered when they need to be put onto growers pellets from chick crumb? they go through at least 3 pots of crumb a day (ones a cornish x so can understand that [​IMG] )

H xx

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hmm.. my understanding is that they switch to grower at the 6/8wk mark.

...and then I've read incubator hatched chicks should stay on the starter until they switch to layer..

LOL! And chickens being grown for meat should eat Boiler, not layer..

It can get confusing sometimes! But.. to be honest, my 10some didn't switch to Grower (and it was still crumbles because that's all the feedstore had) until they were 12-14wks old. I just switched them over to layer (right age, but still not laying).

Meghan

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I keep all of my chicks on starter/grower (it comes combined where we are) until they start laying. Then I start mixing in the laying feed until all switched over.

If you let the cornish x have free choice feed it will eat until it dies. Seriously. It will eat itself to death. Sorry to tell you that way but that's what often happens. Let them eat during the day and take the feed away at night. Give it back the following morning. Make sure there is always good clean water at all times though.

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I gave mine Nutrena Start & Grow from the day I brought them home and they were about two days old then. I am mixing Layena in the older Dominiques Start & Grow since they start laying eggs anytime now. Both my Reds and Doms like the Start & Grow mixed with water. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by