Chick cut with orang Ozze coming out of wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cldavis1, Sep 7, 2014.

1. cldavis1

cldavis1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]I have a broofy hen that laid on 2 eggs and they hatched and she pecked the one chich that is not hers and pecked until it bleed and there was no more skin and there is orange goup comming out what should i do BTW I AM ONLY TWELVE YEARS OLD so please help me I have no clue what to do pictures below[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. cldavis1

Apr 20, 2014
    please help if any one know a poultry vet that won't charge to help please pm me if possible I have no money what so ever

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Take the chicks that are hurt into the house and set up a brooder box. A cardboard box or plastic tote will work. You need a light bulb or brooder lamp in one end to keep them warm and enough room in the box that they can get away from the heat if they get too hot. If you have a thermometer, adjust the height of the light to make it as close to 95 degrees as possible directly under the light. Use newspaper in the bottom but cover it with clean papertowels. Put some food and water in shallow dishes or even jar lids. Rinse the wounds with lukewarm water and apply antibiotic ointment to the wounds. Put them in the brooder and watch to see that they are eating and drinking. If they are not, you can give some sugar water with an eyedropper to help perk them up.

Good luck.

4. GA Homesteader

GA Homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    where is the wound located? When did the incident occur? Do you have parents that can help you? You need to make sure that the chick is not put back with the mother hen because when chickens see blood they will continue to peck at the chicken until it is dead. It is sad but it does happen. It happens to little chicks and big chicks. Since the chick will be separated from its mother it will need an alternate heat source to survive. Usually people use a heat lamp for baby chicks making sure it is about 90 degrees. I believe it drops 5 degrees each week. You would need to put the heat lamp in an area where the baby chick and lay under it and also get away from the heat when it gets too hot. Maybe a large box would work. It will also need its own chick starter feed and water. As far as the wound is concerned, there are different medications available at local tractor supply stores or feed stores but I am not sure where you are located. Answer my first three questions and I will have a better idea as to how to help you treat the wound. It looks pretty bad.

5. GA Homesteader

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    thank you for responding. :)

6. GA Homesteader

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    When you are using an over the counter medication please be sure that the antibiotic ointment does not contain the ending -caine. Example: Do NOT use lidocaine, benzocaine, etc. It will kill your chick.

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Make sure that the antibiotic you put on the wounds has no pain killers in it. You will know if it has ingredients that end in "-caine." I use a generic triple antibiotic ointment that I get at Walmart. Chicks are delicate for a few days, but at the same time, they have an incredible ability to recover from some bad wounds. Just remember that all you can do is all you can do. Try your best, but don't get too upset if it's not enough. You didn't cause the problem, and the chicks would certainly have died if you had not tried to help.

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

GAH - You and I are thinking along the same lines! I'll let you take the lead here, I have another semi-emergency I am dealing with at home.

1 person likes this.
  9. GA Homesteader

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    Does it look like the wound is around the vent area? It wouldn't be pasty butt would it? I was just trying to find out where the location of the wound actually was. Thank you for helping. :)

10. cldavis1

Apr 20, 2014
    FIt was bye the vent but beside it and above but the chick died THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP HE DIED ABOUT 5minuts ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by