Chick deformations

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tolbunt, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Tolbunt

Tolbunt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi I have been hatching chicks for six months. I have small hatch rates of 6-8 chicks out of 36 eggs. I have also not been able to get the chicks past one month old. I raise a variety of chickens such as: Barred rocks, golden comets, marans, Easter eggers, polish, bantam cochins, Duccles, etc. They were all bought so I don't know if their in bred or not. I just don't have much luck with raising and hatching chicks. Please help. [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Are these shipped eggs?

3. Tolbunt

Mar 18, 2015
    No these are eggs from my own hens.

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Did you rotate them until you had all that you wanted to set? Did you use an egg turner or did you do it a few times a day yourself? What were your temps and humidity levels?

5. Tolbunt

Mar 18, 2015
    I am only now starting to rotate the eggs before I set them. My temperature stays about 98-101 Degrees Celsius. My humidity stays at 60-70. I set eggs once a week regardless of how many eggs I get. I use egg turners.

6. SkylineFarms

SkylineFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2014
    Northeastern Tennessee
    Surely you mean Fahrenheit and not Celsius.. 100C is the boiling point of water lol. Your humidity seems to be high, which can result in low hatch rates from chicks drowning in their shell. Most people don't raise their humidity up that high until lockdown. I think before I started the "Dry Hatch Method" (which has worked quite well for me), my humidity was 40-50% during incubation and around 70% for lockdown.

7. Tolbunt

Mar 18, 2015
    Sorry I men't Fahrenheit. How do you get the humidity that low? Normally when the incubator is dry its 10-18 percent humidity and when it has water it is at 60-70 percent humidity.

8. SkylineFarms

Feb 11, 2014
    Northeastern Tennessee
    What kind of incubator do you have? The two different types of incubators that I have used had different sized wells in the bottom for adjusting humidity. If you filled up a small well with water, the humidity would only go up a little bit and if you filled up a bigger well then the humidity would be even higher.

9. Tolbunt

Mar 18, 2015
    I have three different types of incubators such as: GBQ, Janoel, and a homemade incubator.

10. SkylineFarms

Feb 11, 2014
    Northeastern Tennessee
    What I would do is play around with your incubators until you come up with something that works. If you're adding water to a container inside of the incubator to raise humidity, try to find a smaller container to use instead and see if that works. Humidity will be higher the greater that the surface area of the water is, so a wide but shallow container will actually raise humidity more than a smaller container that is much deeper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by