1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick deformed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueberrysilky, Oct 12, 2015.

1. blueberrysilky

blueberrysilky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2015
    Archdale, NC
    I have a chick that is deformed, her neck bone looks like it may have formed wrong. At first I thought it was a chick with wry neck, it looked like it had gotton better and it went back to what I had, a crooked neck. Does anyone know of a chick living to adulthood with a deformitie?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I think that with deformities it does depend quite a bit on the bird, but I have one rooster with an issue similar to this. His neck has a U-shaped formation right in the middle of it, resulting in a very short neck and funny posture. The bone just didn't work right, I guess - it could have been an injury but I really doubt it. He has to work harder to eat, and has not attempted to mate (I doubt he can), but is otherwise a normal bird.

Here he is as a youngster and more recently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. blueberrysilky

blueberrysilky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2015
    Archdale, NC
    Poor guy, one of my main things was keeping him or her to breed. You know how that one messed up chick becomes the family favorite. Just out of curiosity what breed is he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by