Chick Deformity - advice please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MangerSainFarms, Nov 27, 2014.

1. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    Noticed today one of my FBCM chicks has a lateral toe that hasn't separated. As in it's still webbed the entire length to the center toe. Should I leave it alone or cut the webbing and let it separate? Is there a possibility for use? Is this defect transferable should I breed this bird in the future? It feels like bone and joints exist in the phalange. Chick is 4 weeks old. Just wondering what y'all think. Thanks in advance. Chick walks fine as is. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. MangerSainFarms

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

3. EdenCamp

EdenCamp Chillin' With My Peeps

IMO if you were going to free the toe it should have been done the first week just like toe punching. You may find other more knowledgeable resources to answer differently. No on using for breeding - it is a genetic defect. You may want to reconsider using the line it came from, but certainly do not want to reproduce.

4. MangerSainFarms

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    Yes I kind of figured it's a bit late. Wish I would have noticed it earlier. After noticing the foot I went through the others with a fine tooth comb and all were normal. I'll likely leave it be unless I see it causes her trouble. Guess she'll be placed with the egg layers and not in a breeding pen. Thanks for the reply

5. EdenCamp

EdenCamp Chillin' With My Peeps

YVW. Glad to hear a solo occurrence. If your line may be getting too tightly bred, be a good idea to bring in some fresh blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by