chick destroying other eggs????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechickenwoman, Mar 15, 2011.

1. thechickenwoman

thechickenwoman Hatching

May 17, 2010
    What do you do with the eggs that get moved by a chick that is hatching? Does it kill the other eggs if they get rolled into the wrong position/

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If it's hatch day it's likely they will be fine. They aren't in a turner are they?

Take care

rancher

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Its hard to watch a just hatch chick move all the eggs around. But it seems its almost like a knock on the others door to get on out. Its stimulation.[​IMG]

But with my OCD, about everything lining up just right, its hard to watch.[​IMG]

4. thechickenwoman

thechickenwoman Hatching

May 17, 2010
    No its not hatch day. Tomarrow is hatch day. This is third one to hactch with five other eggs starting to crack.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't worry, it's normal.....

6. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i know how that is! my 2 that hatched had managed to knock all the other eggs into a corner together, where i couldn't even see them! no room for the eggs to move or anything, i finally got fed up and grabbed the chicks out real quick, rearranged the eggs so they had space, and added more water to get the humidity back up and hope for the best... little devils they were! lol.

they seem to be much happier in their brooder. they're quiet!

7. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Well, you know what they say.....when it's lockdown, "STEP AWAY FROM THE INCUBATOR! STEP AWAY!!!!" [​IMG] You don't want to compromise the humidity levels and endanger the rest of the hatch........But, truthfully, I know alot of people who scoop those chicks up when they're nice and fluffy and do the exact same thing you do......One friend of mine will give the incubator a nice mist of warm water each time he takes out a chick......

8. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    lol, i know. i didn't want to touch them, but it got to the point where they were causing so much trouble in there, and were pecking up at the fan and heater thing, i gave in and grabbed them! luckily none of the eggs had pipped yet, so i think they'll be okay. i don't even know if they are planning on hatching or not anyways, the other 2 chicks hatched yesterday and these ones haven't done anything at all. just have to wait and see!

9. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It's so hard.....OH THE WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Depending on how many eggs you have in there...

You may want to try a hatch with egg cartons. People seem to have strong preferences on this,
    but it has worked out great for me. It definitely cuts down on the soccer play in the incubator.
    The early hatchers can bump other eggs, but the eggs won't roll. It also makes cleanup easier.
    It definitely helped me be less OCD about watching the hatch. Also it is easier for me to keep track of the eggs,
    since they are not rolling around being "shuffled."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: