1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Development Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meowteri2, Jul 24, 2011.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    I have 2 black australorps about 19 weeks old. One has a comb and waddle that is now starting to look like it it getting red for egg laying. The other has a small
    pale colored comb and just starting to develop the wattle. They are both the same height and tale and neck feathers look the same. The one with the red comb
    and wattle is a little wider. They are suppose to be the same age.
    I have 2 buff orpingtons about 3 weeks old. One has a comb sticking up. The other has just the line where the comb will grow. The one with the comb line
    has its tale feathers sticking out and alot fluffier that the one with the comb.
    Do chicks just develop at different rates?
    I am getting a little worried about the store I bought these from. They are supposed to be sexed for hens. I think it would be a ripp off if I end up with
    2 roosters out of 4 that are all supposed to be females.

Has anyone else seen this happen and end up with all hens ?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have 2 black australorps about 19 weeks old. One has a comb and waddle that is now starting to look like it it getting red for egg laying. The other has a small
    pale colored comb and just starting to develop the wattle. They are both the same height and tale and neck feathers look the same. The one with the red comb
    and wattle is a little wider. They are suppose to be the same age.

Chickens develop at their own pace. It would not at all be unusual for one of your BA's to start laying at 20 weeks and the other wait until 30 weeks or even later. I don''t think you have much to worry about here.

I have 2 buff orpingtons about 3 weeks old. One has a comb sticking up. The other has just the line where the comb will grow. The one with the comb line
    has its tale feathers sticking out and alot fluffier that the one with the comb.
    Do chicks just develop at different rates?

Chicks do develop at different rates. Some things are indications that they might be developing one way or another, but at 3 weeks it is often not definite. I'm waffling about this one because there is probably some reason to be concerned. I have more trouble with Buff Orps than with some other breeds. For me, they are just harder. You could wind up with 4 hens but I'd start thinking about what I would do if one turned out to be a rooster. But don't panic yet. It is still a bit early to be sure.

3. meowteri2

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Thanks for your help.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Part of the problem with buying from feed stores, is that people often put the chicks back into the wrong bin, so you can get something unexpected.

5. meowteri2

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Well it happened. The orpinton with the wattle and comb crowed yesterday and just now today. What a shame . It was the one that came by you and wanted to be held the most. I will have to take it back to the feed store. I already have more chickens than the town allows. Roosters are not allowed. So if someone hears a rooster and calls the town it might mess things up for the seven hens.

6. meowteri2

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    The aussie with the large comb and wattle squatted yesterday when I went to pick it up. I take this as a sign it is a female. The other same age still does not have much of a comb and wattle. If it squats does it mean its a female? Do roosters squat?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by