Chick development questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by latb611, Mar 1, 2014.

1. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    I am new to having chicks. We recently got 6 red pullets and 2 ducklings from our local TS. We have had them about a week and they are growing so fast. The chicks have wing feathers and some of them are getting tail feathers. Do their wings change color when they get their adult feathers? How long will it be before they eggs? I have gotten different answers. How long til the are fully feathered or full grown? Thanks for any help. Btw now that I have them I feel like I have chick fever and am half tempted to go back to TS on Wednesday and get more when they get new chicks lol.

2. dsrtchkn

dsrtchkn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Arizona
    So im pretty sure it depends on the breed for the chickens. I got three white leghorns and they were pretty much feathered out by 6 weeks. They are now about 5 months old and im expecting eggs in a few weeks and I think they are almost full grown. I know what you mean about the fever. Right after that I ordered 15 more!!

3. dsrtchkn

Jan 6, 2014
    Arizona
    So to add to the questions on here....I have a 2 week old malay that is feathering much differently than the others. The new primaries are showing signs of stress lines and she is twice the size of the others. Also on all the other chicks the primaries fold under the coverts but on her they are above and stick out a bit like a "v". Has anybody seen anything like this and should I be concerned? Also the feather sheaths are longer and more pronounced than the others. If pics will help let me know I will try to add them. Thanks

4. dsrtchkn

Jan 6, 2014
    Arizona
    Lets see if these come through

[​IMG]

5. dsrtchkn

Jan 6, 2014
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

6. dsrtchkn

Jan 6, 2014
    Arizona
    So the first pic is of the normal malay
    the second is of the one concerned
    is this a hereditary issue or dietary?

7. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Anyone else have any answers to my questions?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Give them time. they'll have beautiful coats of feathers before you know it. Just as 2 human babies the same age have different amounts of hair on their heads, chicks also feather out on their own time table... some associated with particular breed, also gender related, diet related, then, there's the just because... issues.

9. RenoChickenNoob

RenoChickenNoob Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Does anyone have a link to an article or chart that shows the typical development of a chick from hatch to maturity? I realize some breeds are different...I just can't find anything in general that shows this. Want to make sure my little ladies are developing as they should.

10. PearlGrey

PearlGrey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I wish I could find one. I did a search of this site but the links on the older threads no longer work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by