1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MA Mama, Feb 10, 2012.

1. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    One of my day-olds (hatched myself) seems to have wet poopie around it's bum. The others don't have this. They are on medicated feed. They have also had VERY little apple and carrot - but very tiny amounts. Any suggestions? anything I should look for or do?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    You need to clean the poop off the butt. It can dry and prevent the chick from being able to pass waste--which will very quickly become life-threatening. Daily bottom checks for the next few weeks.

If the chicks start having lots of diarrhea, you need to treat for cocci.

Good luck!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Use a warm wet paper towel and wipe off its butt. If the poop is stuck, feel free to dip its butt in a little bit of warm water to soften up the poop. Make sure you check your day olds every day for pasty butt. This can be fatal in chicks if not tended to. You do not have to worry about pasty butt after your chicks are 1 week old.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with the others. It is called "pasty butt" and is very common in new chicks- especially shipped chicks.

I test the water with my wrist under the faucet, then hold the chick's backside under the gently running water for a bit. Then remove, wait a few seconds and repeat until it is softened enough to come off without yanking all the fuzz out.

Then I apply Rooster Booster Pick No More Lotion on the vent area so that the chicks don't peck at the newly washed bum. This must be done every day until the pasty butt stops recurring...it can take days and days!

Keep your brooder temps as recommended as cool brooders also can lead to pasty butt- and also if they are too hot and get dehydrated.

McMurray Hatchery's FAQ page for Chick Care has the temp recommendations if you need them. (Or just ask.)

5. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Plain old olive oil on the cleaned bum also helps prevent it from recurring.

6. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    thank you all for the suggestions. I understand that I need to clean it so it doens't harden, however I was also concerned that it was like that (wet) to begin with. The other chicks bums are totally clean. Also, they are on medicated feed, which I thought treated cocci... no???

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Medicated feed is part of prevention, but is not a cure. So if they caught it, cocci would need to be treated with meds.

Don't worry just yet.

8. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    It seems to be ok. After cleaning the bum it made a big poop so I may have diverted a disaster there. It may just be a quieter chick. it even likes beingheld more than the others so I think that what I am thinking is sickish behavior is just a personality trait.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes that is what they do. After the bottom is cleaned out comes all the poo that was stuck in there. Good job! You saved it's life.

10. MA Mama

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I think there is something else going on. Woke up this morning and his bum was all wet again. I am going to post a new question with pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by