Chick didn't grow tail feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovinChicknFarmn, Aug 14, 2011.

1. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    One of my bantam japanese-old english game roos never grew a tail. He was pasty in the first week he was born, but I obviously got that cleared up. He would clean himself up and preen a lot after I'd wash off his bum and dry him. The area did look kind of calloused when he was still title and fluffy. Now he's 8 weeks and healthy and doing fine, but his tail feathers never grew in. He's the leader in their little pecking order, so I don't think he's being picked on - well that and he never had any, but has all his other feathers. Any thoughts? Do you think he'll ever grow any? I was hoping maybe when he molts for the first time they'll grow in.

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    He's still young. Give him time, and I bet those tail feathers will grow. I had one roo last year that I mistook for a pullet because of no tail. Sure enough, a week after I bought him as a pullet, a fabulous tail grew. He was 8 weeks old at the time.

This year, I have one of my Barnevelders that is 13 weeks old, and still has no tail. The 3 other boys have only little stubs. The girls have lovely tails! [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure they will all get those long gorgeous tails in just a couple of weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by