Chick died after hatch, cause?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenangelcat, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    We had a chick hatch with no help. It had a bloody mass hanging off it. Dh says it looked like his guts. Why would this happen.

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    it just happens. Birth defect or hatching too soon. Nothing that can be done to prevent it except keeping the steadiest temps and humidity so they hatch on time instead of early.

3. aria122

aria122 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Davis, CA
    I've heard some chicks just don't form right. How many were in your hatch. Did your incubator go over 102f for any length of time?

4. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    There were 12 in the hatch. We have 3 left that are pipped and 3 that aren't doing anything. They were due on Friday. The three unpipped were moving yesterday but nothing today. They are from eggs that I purchased locally, they were pretty dirty. My first hatch I got 100% on my own eggs.

I don't think it went over 102 during this hatch.

So sad, glad my kids are asleep.

5. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    I just had the same thing happen on my hatch, one chick born with intestines outside the vent. 11 other healthy chicks out of 16 from shipped eggs. I would probably just chalk it up as a birth defect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by