chick died

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fdnick, Dec 9, 2007.

1. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    We have hatched out about 60+ serama eggs now and 2 times we have had a chick hatch out crawl about 2 inches from the shell and die!?!?!? It looks normal, yolk absorbed, looks like a healthy chick, hatched on its own and all but just died for no reason???

Denna

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's interesting... my guess is something nutritional from parents? It's a tough one. All that work to jut give up!

Hope the rest make it and are fine! Hear they are hard hatchers.

3. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    had 11 out of 13 that hatched, and the one of the 11 died.. so 10 healthy chicks.. Just seems kinda weird that he would get so far and then to lose him....

4. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

denna, i had a very pretty hen i was going to use for a black only line next year just fall over dead in the cage today, i came home from town and there she is laying dead. very sad. she was alive and normal as could be before i left this morning--- she was a real looker..

sorry about your chick , was it one of mine or the other folks...

frank

5. ae50mag

if the eggs came from me --- they are all indoor chickens, on medicated feed and plumbed fresh water, always 16-20% feed twice daily. so that diet should not be a issue.

frank

6. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    Hi Frank, no all of yours are doing great :O) this was an egg from one of my hens.. it was only minutes old, it had crawled out of its shell and died in the brooder inches from its shell.. the eggs (chicks) I got from you are doing great.. the colors are amazing..

7. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    10 others from the same hatch are doing great and scurring all over the place [​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My first guess would be fluid aspiration, or some respiratory failure of some cause. My second guess would be heart failure, or not enough fluid in the veins. Sorry, I know it hurts

9. ae50mag

i was just checking as i am having high hatch rates still, and one member got eggs from me and lost almost all after they were developed, but she said it is a bad incubator and the other lady contacted me ref to a low fertility rate -- this is the first such problem i have had .. as i am hatching over 80% here at the house under hens and in the 1502 sportsman. and everyone else is 50% or more.. ???? these are sometimes some real doozie's to get to hatch??

but i offered more eggs at shipping charge only..

frank

10. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    we just love our sportsman 1502, i know it is the reason we get such good hatch rates [​IMG]
    I just hate losing any critter no matter what the reason!!! I was doing some research and saw that the serama has a "lethal" gene that shows its ugly head every once in a while so maybe that was it?!?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by