1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Dies in Shell on Day of Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by khatar, Mar 29, 2012.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Today is hatching day for my new chicks incubated under my hen. We were devastated to find that the first chick that penetrated the shell, died before it could hatch. [​IMG] I'm curious as to why this chick died, I can't think of anything that would have done this. This is my first hatch, so I'm somewhat unexperienced.

On the bright side, one egg hatched successfully and two are still on their way!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry for your loss but, glad you have more - Hope they rest do Great!

3. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    Sometimes there isn't a logical reason. I lost a chick today that was able to pip, but not zip...and when I opened up the chick looked normal, but for some reason just couldn't make it through the process. It is a sad event, but seems to be part of the process. Good luck with the others!

4. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks! Another one hatched and the other is getting there!

5. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    As others said, sometimes they are just unable to hatch and nobody knows why. My last hatch, all 6 that I set made it to hatching day, but one of them just made a hole large enough to get its beak through, chirped for a while as the others were hatching, and then died.
    Congratulations on the ones that made it, though! [​IMG]

6. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    It's odd how these things just happen, your story is just like mine. I feel so bad, [​IMG] maybe they weren't strong enough to live on.

7. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    One question though, one of the chicks that hatched was inbred between my roo and his sister. Will there be future problems with this chick? I actually had the most doubt about this egg hatching, but I thought it was worth a try. Turns out, it was the first to hatch! The chick that died was the first to crack the egg though

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Unlike the human world, in the animal world the fittest survive. The one that make it have the best chance of a full and productive life. That's the law of nature. We should learn from it.

9. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    As far as I know, inbreeding doesn't really affect the first generation, but inbreeding generation after generation will definitely cause problems.

10. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    That's good then, next time I hatch chicks I will have either a different hen or different rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by