chick disaster!!!!PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caral07, Jul 20, 2010.

1. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    The other day I had my first ever chick to hatch.It was wonderful,but just a few minutes ago it died. I have 5 more fertile and I hope they hatch. It is totaly black inside. Except for the air pocket.But the other day I did notice a gray spot between the air pocket and the blackness of the egg. It is about half to under a half inch thick. Does anyone know what that is. I think it is the rest of the room the chick has to grow before it hatches.[​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    "The other day"...meaning when, exactly? Was it still in the incubator, or had you moved it to the brooder? What kind of bedding was it on? Was it eating and drinking?

3. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    5:00am the chick hatched. it was in a styorfoam incabater with wire floors. It drank a little but never ate because I did not give it food.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The spot is where it has room to grow. Sometimes the small chicks will die. I have had this happen a lot with quail.

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Based on what you said on your other thread about it hatching on day 20, and today was day 23, and it slept all day before it died, it may have starved. I've noticed that chicks that hatch early usually have already absorbed most of their yolk, and that's why they hatch early. Chicks should always be offered food right away, just in case. I'm sorry you lost him! Good luck with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by