Chick does not seem right. What to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stevin, May 18, 2010.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    I noticed one of my 5 week old chicks acting a lil off. it's just sitting there with her eyes closed. the chick looks very weak, i saw one other chick bump her and she fell right over onto her back and just laid there. i propped her back up an she just tucked into a ball with her head tucked into her chest and the feathers on her shoulders are standing up. i brought some boiled pieces of fish as a treat but she never approached me, but she did eat some but only when i put my hand directly in front of her face. also she seems to be shakin a lil but not like she shivering but more like a swaying somewhat. i've been checking up on her since i got home from work and she hasn't moved from that same spot. should i remove her from the brooder and the other 23 chicks? not exactly sure what i should do....

2. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I just went through something similar with a 5 week old chick. I ended up taking her to an avian vet who is treating her for possible parasites (fecal test pending) and a bacterial infection. Her crop is fine. She got thin very fast and is doing much better after a dose of baytril (which I continue for 10 days and a dose of fenbendazole that will be repeated in 2 weeks. I take her out to feed her alone several times a day. She likes her chick starter mixed with warm water, oatmeal and a bit of egg.

My husband says we'll have to charge $42.50/doz eggs......

Mine is much better but not out of the wood yet.... Good luck with your chick!

3. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    should i put them/her back on the electrolyte and vitamin water? i had stopped giving the chicks vitamin water after the 1st week and just gave them plain ol water since....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by