CHICK DOING SOMERSAULTS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twzlrwho, Apr 6, 2009.

1. twzlrwho

twzlrwho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    I have a week old bbr that is doing somersaults. He has no balance, head is all the way down and seems to only be able to go backwards. Does anyone know what this could be????? I have searched everywhere with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Without more information, we'd be guessing.
    Were these chicks vaccinated for Mareks's? Any injuries due to shipping, if applicable?
    Is everyone eating/drinking? Type of starter feed?
    Does the feed have cocci meds?
    Do you have a pic?

Since some kinds of motion problems in chicks can be due to vitamin deficiencies, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some to the water of all the chicks. You'll soon have to decide if this chick is to be separated, especially if the others begin to peck at it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like it could be Wry Neck. This is usually caused by a vitamin deficiency. If you have powdered vitamins/electrolytes, put that in the water now. If not, get some Poly-Vi-Sol (no Iron) baby vitamins (at almost any grocery store or pharmacy)...and give a drop or 2 on the side of the beak, so that it rolls in the beak. Also, you can try to get him to eat crumbled up hard boiled egg yolk...very nutritious.

I can't remember the exact dose, but do a search for wry neck and you should get lots of info.

4. twzlrwho

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    I have been putting vitamins in the water for 2 days now. It came from a local breeder. I use Purina Start and Grow. Everyone is eating/drinking. I have had them for a week now and until today it was so far so good. They have not been vacc. Thanks.

5. twzlrwho

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    And it seems to have tremors of some sort. IDK what to do.

6. LynneP

Can you phone the breeder or distributor to see if anything has been identified in this group of chicks?
    The food you are using has a coccicidiostat, I believe so that rules out coccidiosis.

Glad you were using vitamins, it eliminates many neurological possibilities.
    Definitely separate.

You may find this health reference chart helpful as you examine this chick and begin to make decisions:

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/diagext.htm

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. twzlrwho

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    I have the whole batch. LOL I have one that is fighting splayed leg so I decided to go ahead and supplement with electrolites and vitamins all around to help give them a boost. And today I found this little guy rolling around. He puts his head between his legs and tucks and rolls. Now he is only walking backwards. I am just puzzled. I have given him a dose of vitamins and am watching really closely. I would just like to give a name to what he going through. Atleast with some idea of what it is maybe I can prevent/cure it in the future.

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!
    Thanks for answering so fast!

8. LynneP

I'm so glad you acted fast with the vitamins. Your little guy with the splayed foot may have the same thing, and displayed sooner. If it's neurological and was vitamin deficiency you should see improvement in 24-48 hours.

I have no experience with Marek's but I put a link for you to the Miss. State poultry diagnosis chart, because your observations are the valid ones and something in the files may make you say- Yes, that's it...

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have a chick doing that as well. He was fine and at times acts fine then he tucks and rocks his head from side to side and then for alittle while he acts fine again, almost like a seizure disorder or something.

I gave them vitamin water yesterday and they loved it but it didn't seem to help much.

10. LynneP

Chicks grow so fast, I can understand why they might lack something even when fed and watered properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by