Chick doing this weird thing on the carpet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlliBunny, Aug 18, 2013.

1. AlliBunny

AlliBunny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    My chicks are 3 weeks old now and when I'm in the room with them I let them jump out of their box and walk around it if they want. My Orpington always will jump out and go on the bath mat (which is just fluffier carpet) and just act weird. She'll scratch at it and then sit down and keep scratching pretty hard and sometimes she'll kind of turn on her side so you can see one of her legs. She'll also ruffle her feathers a ton when she's sitting down sometimes. She never does this in their box though, and if she accidentally goes on the title while she's doing this she'll get up and go back to the carpet right away. Also if I pick her up when she's laying down and doing this she'll stay sitting in my hand and roll on her side sometimes for awhile before standing up and jumping down. I've never had chickens before so I don't know if this is normal, but my other 2 chicks never do it, and it just kind of concerns me when she does... But she acts normal otherwise. Is this anything to worry about, and do you guys know what she's doing? Thanks!

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    She's trying to take a dust bath

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X 2, if they don't have a place to dust bathe in the brooder, you could give them a pan with sand/peatmoss/dirt etc in it... if you want to look, there a number of threads on byc about what people use for penned chickens to dust bathe in.

4. AlliBunny

AlliBunny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Oh okay, it does kind of remind me of my chinchillas taking a dust bath so tht makes sense, thanks. :) I didn't know chickens needed to be able to take them when they were little, but I'll try to find something for them to use now! ... Do any of you know if chinchilla bath dust is safe for them? It's sable blue cloud dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by