Chick down colour--what is this--never seen anything like it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sonoran Silkies, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    [​IMG]

This chick is just a few days old--sizzle breeding from a blue/black/splash pairing. I've never seen splash down that was an actual pattern of white with a pale bluish back; also notice the darker spot at the back of the neck. Photo is a bit browner than in real life--the blue on the back is almost a powder blue.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's got the silkie top notch, so must be a sizzle. But it definately looks like a splash to me.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, is definitely came from breeding pens for sizzles (Sarah & I did some chick exchanging yesterday--this is one of her chicks) Pink skin, but oh so pretty. [​IMG]
    But I've never seen splash down with an actual pattern--usually the chicks are pretty much uniformly coloured, and usually more silvery with a hint of yellow underneath. This one is pure white except for it's back with is a powder blue.

4. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I know it's not a Silkie or Sizzle but I've had a Polish chick with the same chick down pattern (chick in question is in the top left).

[​IMG]

-Cindy in MA

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What colour did it end up?

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My splash Polish looked like that as a baby. Your bird will likely be white with some grey & black splotches on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: