chick drowned

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie, May 11, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I was horrified to discover my 10-day old RB turkey chick had drowned in a bucket of water this afternoon. I tried to revive it but it was too late.

I had given the chicks a tiny chick waterer but for the hen's water I put a large bucket in their new pen because I had run out of regular waterers and was planning to get some more this week. I placed the bucket in a difficult place and assumed it was too high (15 inches) for the chicks to get into. But I think they can already fly and it must have tried to fly up to the edge of the bucket???

Well, this is just to say that there is a REASON chick waterers are designed the way they are, and to let other people know they can fly at a VERY young age. I don't ever want to make this mistake again. I'm just sad that this had to happen.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm so sorry to hear about your chick. It's rather amazing what they do so quickly. I'm glad you posted this for other chick mom's and dad's.

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I'm sorry that happened.....I had an empty feed bag on the coop floor and one of my 5 week olds had gotten into it and I don't know why, but couldn't get out.....by the time I found him he was very damp from sitting in his own stuff (luckily he perked back up but it is amazing the trouble they can get into)

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks. That makes me feel better that I check on them at least 2-3 times a day and count them all to make sure none are missing, or stuck somewhere.

Last year we had 3 chicks that had squished themselves behind 2 bales of hay and got stuck and we couldn't find them for 24 hrs. Luckily they were fine.

5. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    :aww I'm so sorry! I too was suprised when I saw one of my 10 day old chicks fly up on top of their feeder...they are amazing little creatures, that's for sure.

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    ALWAY'S CHECK YOUR CHICK'S HOURLY, BECAUSE THEY ARE KINDA SILLY THE FIRST FEW DAY'S AND WILL TRY ANYTHING....PEACE;)

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I had something similiar happen once with button quail.

Accidents happen.

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    So sorry, I am sure you were doing everything you could for your little ones. Accidents happen. Thanks for the post.

10. ^_^ChickenCrew^_^

^_^ChickenCrew^_^ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    That's soo sad .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by