Chick Dust Bath ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTopPA_18707, Apr 3, 2011.

1. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

At least one of our chicks is using the grit bowl as a dust bath.

This makes me think I should give them a real dust bath . . . and if so what would you put in it, D Earth ?

-:>Kevin

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I have bought a bag of sand at Home Depot. I can't remember what it was called, but it was a little bit coarse. They love it! When they were little, I would put about a 1/2 cup inside of a frisbee. Now they love it when I spread out an old towel in their coop and sprinkle the sand on it. The action is crazy. They are 5 weeks old and haven't been outside yet. It's too cold here (snowed a little again today) and hubby is still working on the run. [​IMG] After they "bathe" they curl up and fall asleep. It must be exhausting. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  3. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    We did DE for the dust bath at first, but found it to be way too dusty. The littlest movement kicked it up and it was everywhere. We have since changed to a mixture of peat moss and sand and they love it! The first time it went in, one chick started bathing and I swear it 'purred' in contentment. [​IMG]

4. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks - I will put in a sand dust bath . . . .

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Sand serves more than one purpose in the brooder. The chicks eat it and it helps prevent pasty butt (it serves as grit, plus has natural minerals). Second they take a dust bath in it. My chicks are five weeks old, so I will be adding DE as a natural wormer. The sand box went in before the chicks went in and the chicks found it right away.

6. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My babies are using just sawdust as a dust bath! So funny to listen to them!! I'm sure that's not what their suppose to be using but they're too young to be outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by