Chick Dust - Room within a room?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MoonShadows, Feb 13, 2013.

1. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I am going to be brooding my chicks in my unfinished basement. Other than what I have read here about using wood pellets, furnace filters, fine mesh screens etc. for helping to control the chick dust, has anyone ever tried building a room within a room? I was thinking of buying a roll of clear sheet plastic and building a "room" around my brooder. Since it won't be air tight, I's sure the chicks will have plenty of air, and some of the dust will escape, but I am thinking most of the dust will be confined to this "room" making it easier to clean up. Any thoughts? I'm wondering if this is a viable idea to help contol the chick dust since I have not seen it mentioned here at all.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've never had "that much" dust. Not to the point of it being a problem at least. It really depends on how long you intend to brood them indoors and how tall your brooder sides are. The older they get the messier they can be. It wont get dusty until the second week and we put ours out 3 to 4 weeks old depending on weather. We also use the large plastic tote to brood in so has `high walls.

But sure, painters plastic is cheap. Comes in .03 millimeter film that's light enough to use blue painters tape to secure it to ceiling. If you've a nice finished basement with a flat painted ceiling you may want to invest in the extension pole made to secure plastic to ceiling. That way the ends can be taped to wall, eggshell paint wont mark from painters tape and the pole to hold the plastic on corner that would be out in room opposite inside wall corner.

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Not sure what to expect. I have read everything from your reply: "never had 'that much' dust" to horror stories that rival the American Dust Bowl of the 1930's. I guess I just want to be prepared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by