Chick dust

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lynette, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that my chicks are out in their coop, what is the easiest way to clean up their dust? It is stuck to everything and I am dreading cleaning up the mess.

2. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'm planning on vaccumming, then washing all the walls, counters, and mirrors and mopping the floors. We have them in a guest bathroom and Ive been using the shower curtain to shield them from the drafts of the a/c vent. So thatll have to be washed and the plastic part thrown away.

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Mine are in the garage. I plan on opening both doors and all the windows and use air pressure to blow it off everything. It's literally on every surface in the garage, and my garage holds 6 cars. Never thought the dust would travel through the entire garage.......[​IMG]

4. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

It does travel and get on every single surface. I had them in my rec room and it is all over everything. I am going to get electricity in the coop before winter comes, so when I raise chicks again, they can be out there. I don't want them in the house again. I wish I could just take a hose and spray everything down.

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    that is the only part of this i hate. is the mess, the smell, and the dust. UGH. other then that...they are great!! but it's the time between hatching and coop that can be the worst.

I have got to the point where I only let them stay in the house a week or so. Then, I've made a dog cage outside into a coop. And they will go out there. All my hatches since my first one have done great! But, I have a hepa air filter, that I will set intide the room prolly tonight. Bc with our allergies and athsma...we can't handle the dust, and feathers.

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I had them in a spare room with all of our boxes from having just moved. I didn't take the warning that they left dust EVERYWHERE and didn't cover anything. The day came when I needed to clean the room so I vaccumed everything then had a bucket with bleach water and wiped it all down. Took an entire Sunday afternoon but now everything is clean. [​IMG]

7. nursesusanb

nursesusanb Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    Maine
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. Is the dust from the chicks feathering out or is it the bedding???

8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Both. You have dust from the bedding getting kicked up when they scratch, but mostly it's sticky keratin flakes/down.

9. nursesusanb

nursesusanb Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    Maine
    Is there any way to minimize it?

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I saw recently that someone draped cheesecloth over their brooder. Air filter might help too. My brooder is in an area where dust isn't a problem, so I've never had to address it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by