chick dying of what!??HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anyababette, Jan 28, 2011.

1. anyababette

anyababette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    I have a 2 week old buff sussex chicky that is about to kark it, I guess! I am just wonderin of what ?!
    When feeding this morning it had one eye shut but ne discharge or gunk that would have glued it up and stumbling around but he ate 2 worms [​IMG] and his chicken crumbles 4 hours later he was lying on his side with both eyes shut. His bum looked like he had watery discharge. ??? any ideas anybody???[​IMG]
    Looking at the rapid progression there is probably not much I can do other then to place him dry and warm [​IMG]
    what can I do to prevent this to happen to the others???

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What kind of worms did you feed it?

3. anyababette

Jun 22, 2010
    so, one eye open again, it seems to be more paraletic -no contol over legs then anything, had a slimy/regular looking yellow poo.

4. anyababette

Jun 22, 2010
    he managed to find a couple of earthworms after I turned over a rock

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Is the chick inside or outside? If outside is it cold where you live? Did this come on suddenly and was he OK before this happened? Are any other chicks showing signs of illness?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    are you keeping it under a heat lamp or is mom taking care of it.. it is too young to be outside unless mom is taking care of it.
    poop chart also: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

"this is from another post but good reading."
    As soon as you start giving them anything other than their Starter, they need grit to help digest it. Their baby food is specially made of highly digestible stuff, so they don't need the grit for that. But for everything else, they do. You can mix a bit of grit with their regular food, sprinkle on their treats, etc. I wouldn't give them a separate bowl of grit though, they can fill up on that instead of food (well, they are babies!). We only give our chicks grit with their treats (sprinkle on yogurt or a mash we make with hardboiled egg & their starter + sugar water & vitamins). Seems to work fine.

ETA: don't use oyster shell. If you don't have a feed store accessible, buy grit made for parakeets or canaries or something like that, but check to see that it's not Oyster shell. If you can't find that, buy sterilized fine sand (can sometimes find it by lizard supplies).
    Last edited by Lorimary (04/29/2009 11:51 pm)
    ~Mary
    "Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as t

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sometimes young chicks can get cocci esp from worms and the soil. Is the chick on medicated grower feed. Check out the internet and see if the symptoms match. Good luck. Gloria Jean

8. anyababette

Jun 22, 2010
    Thanks for the replys.

Being in NZ we are in summer now so it is outside raised by his mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by