chick dying? what is your diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Daniel-ir-74, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 Chirping

Aug 24, 2016
    South of Iran
    hello
    I hatched 6 chicks 5 weeks ago.
    two of them died yesterday. another is really sick. it's eyes is mostly closed and have eye discharge. he can move and raise his head. sometimes makes a sound like cricket (chirping like) I have uploaded the images.. I will appreciate any input and your diagnosis.

ps: I give them vitamins and apple cider vinegar, so I think it's unlikely that it's coccidiosis. but I don't rule it out.

Thank you
    20190423_173639.jpg

20190423_173652.jpg

20190423_173710.jpg

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Apple cider and vinegar will not treat Coccidiosis - what do you have that you can treat them with? Amprol/Amprolium, Coxoid, Toltrazuril, or sulfa antibiotics?

Eye discharge is likely infection - could be from respiratory disease. Flush the eyes well with saline and apply an eye ointment. Do you have any antibiotics?

If you have vet care that is best.

Eggcessive, Daniel-ir-74 and 007Sean like this.
  3. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 Chirping

Aug 24, 2016
    South of Iran
    no unfortunately I live in countryside in IRAN and doesn't have access to Drug or Vet. Only natural things.

what is it? coccidiosis or infection of the eye or both? would an antibiotic injection cure it? I don't think it's coccidiosis because it went bad faaast. my experience with coccidiosis was that a few days of lethargy that would be cured by milk and yogurt.
    currently I am giving it yogurt 3 times a day.....

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It could be both infection and coccidiosis, it's very hard to know.

What antibiotic do you have?

Daniel-ir-74 likes this.
  5. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 Chirping

Aug 24, 2016
    South of Iran
    I don't have any...I was just saying for future occurences...there has been many times that I have used antibiotics and didn't have any success at all even with infections...
    I'm just tired of chicken and chicks dying after taking every precaution to avoid diseases and etc....
    what do you think a normal mortality rate in chicks and chickens is?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I could not say what the normal mortality rate in chicks or chickens is. There's too many variables.

Coccidiosis is likely the cause of most chick's deaths, but that's speculation on my part. Your's appear to have eye infection as well - the cause would be hard to know - respiratory illness is a very common cause of eye infection as is E. Coli infection (getting debris/a scratch to the eye) again, there's way to many causes.

I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble. Milk, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, etc. will only take you so far in the treatment of some conditions. It would be a good idea to find a Coccidiostat that you can keep on hand along with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Daniel-ir-74 and Eggcessive like this.
  7. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 Chirping

Aug 24, 2016
    South of Iran
    unfortunately it was coryza infection that's why they made chirping noises and had eye discharge and finally couldn't open their eyes.
    5 out of six died. one is well and running do you think I should cull him?

another 12 chicks were in presence of these six for 48 hours. do you think they got infected? after I found it was coryza I removed everything and cleaned...

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coryza is contagious to any chicks exposed. It is transmitted by direct contact, through droplets nasally or into the eye, and through contaminated water. Symptoms may appear in 1 to 3 days after exposure. Any chickens exposed my be carriers whether or not they show symptoms. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Here is some reading about coryza:
    https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/infectious-coryza

Wyorp Rock and Daniel-ir-74 like this.
  9. Daniel-ir-74

Daniel-ir-74 Chirping

Aug 24, 2016
    South of Iran
    so after 3 days if none of 12 chicks show any signs, is it possible they didn't get infected?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No, that is not what I said. Some chickens can be carriers without ever showing symptoms. But if your chicks do not become ill, I would wait and see. They may be fine.

Wyorp Rock and Daniel-ir-74 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: