1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick dying...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Awonderer, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Awonderer

Awonderer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Templeton, CA
    I am hoping someone can help us figure out what is happening. One of our chicks was lying on its side breathing hard, looking like it is dying. Other chicks occasionally run over and jump on it and peck it.

As background, we started with 16 pullets and 2 cockerels in the brooder. They were born on Monday and arrived on Wednesday. One died on Wednesday afternoon, likely stress from the trip. Another one was dead this morning when we woke up. When we got home, this one is near death. There are three different breeds-dominiques, Favorelles, and black copper Marans. One of each breed will have died if this one goes.

They all seem to have a lot of energy and are running around chirping. Temperature is in the 95-98 range. They have food and water. We change the paper towel over the shavings every day.

Any advice on what to do?

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Sometimes they just can't be saved, sadly. [​IMG]

If the baby is still with you, I would take it out and put it in your shirt. That sounds weird... but if I have a chick that looks to be feeling not very well, I wear a low cut sweater and put it under my shirt on my chest. This seems to comfort and warm them. And you can give it food (maybe a bit of scrambled egg, or yogurt/water blended with crumbles) and water through an eye dropper. At times they are just weak. Do you have any of those Save-A-Chick things on hand, or just some sugar to put in the water? Sometimes that helps.

Hope he/she pulls through, as do the rest [​IMG]

(And if you have any specific illness questions, there is a specific thread for that.)

3. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    @Araucana16 I couldn't of said anything better!

1 person likes this.
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check your brooder temp,seems a little high. I brood at 90-95 first week,85-90 second week,80-85 third week,75-80 fourth week,70-75 fifth week. This is just a basic guideline,but i can definitely say i have never had temps in the 98 range. Do birds appear warm,are they staying away from heat source?

5. speedbird

speedbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it alive?

6. Araucana16

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I too am wondering!

7. Awonderer

Awonderer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Templeton, CA
    It has been separated in a different box and seems to be doing better. Gave it it's own water and food. Won't be able to get nutri drench until tomorrow, but will try that as well for them. It is very strange.

On the heat, the don't seem to be either clumping or staying on the boundaries so I am guessing that is okay. The do clump a little when they sleep. But during the day, they are all over the area.

Thanks for your help. We'll update you tomorrow.

8. Araucana16

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Glad to hear it! Hoping for the best. [​IMG]

9. Araucana16

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I posted that less than a minute after you had made your original post. It's official. I'm a stalker [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. speedbird

speedbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Praying the best fr you and mister fuzzbum! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by