Chick dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skye727, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have a two month old Cochin bantam. She was the only survivor out of 8 eggs. She has been doing great with her foster Mom (and Easter egger bantam) outside for a few weeks. She has been running around happy and even ran around free ranging. She was being picked on a little this morning by the big girls who I scolded. I went out later and found her lying in the dirt with her eyes closed and very cold. I picked her up and brought her in. I gave her sugar water, which took two of us to do. She would not open her beak. Maybe a good sign that she wasnt too weak. I put her in the incubator at 80 degrees. She opened an eye and looked at me when I went down to check on her. What else can I do? Did she get too cold? It was cold (55) and rainy today.

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    All I can think to do is keep her warm and hydrated and make sure she eats something. You might have to put it inside her beak if she won't try to eat on her own. If you feel like it may be an illness give her some antibiotics. I hope your little one pulls through.

3. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    Wow! She is up and running around the incubator! I guess she was just cold. Thank God I found her when I did! Now what do I do with her? The Mama wasn't keeping her warm and I don't have any other chicks. I'm going to keep her inside. Can she be alone? I could put her in the rabbit cage with my girls. They like chickens and she would have company.

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    That's great to hear! Chickens really do prefer company. If you have anyone nearby who raises chickens maybe you could get her a buddy close in age. I have heard of chickens staying with rabbits but I don't have rabbits myself so I have never tried that experiment. I bet you can find something here at the BYC forum if you search "Chickens Living With Rabbits." Best of luck.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad to hear that she is better, but she should have all of her feathers by now, and normally would be doing okay outside without a broody keeping her warm. I would place her back with the other chickens under supervision. She needs to stay part of the flock, or you will have a problem re-integrating later. Is there a way to fence off part of your coop where she could be placed with a more docile chicken to be friends with? Placing her in a cage in the coop for a couple of days would give her a chance to recuperate. Maybe put a low wattage (40-60) heat lamp over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by