Chick eating styrofoam

dsyd

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Hello,
I just hatched my first chick the other day in an incubator made out of styrofoam. Yesterday it started pecking the walls and ate some (not sure how many, but I saw it eat at least one) of the styrofoam balls. The balls are about 1-1.5mm thick. Should I be concerned? Will it block the digestive system? Is there anything I could do if so? (Like how you can empty the crop of a fully grown chicken.)

Thanks,
Daniel

dsyd

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks WriterofWords and Bandana

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
12 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
There was another thread on here quite awhile back with the same question. It had some great info on it but I can't find it. Maybe someone will have the link for it.

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
mine have pecked a hole in a huge cooler and theyre still kickin and are 8years old now
so yeah, should be ok

Matt A NC

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Morganton, NC
This is why I get the chicks out of the incubator as soon as they are dry and fluffy. Either that or keep in dark in the room that in bator is in.

4 years ago I tried to leave them in there as the rest hatched. They are supposed to be able to go 72 hours without eating or drinking after they hatch. I didn't want to lose the humidity for the rest of the hatch. Well I ended up with the hole that was almost all the way through the side of the bottom half of the bator. All the chicks were fine with no problems. I even still have 2 of the old gals from that hatch('cousin' and 'baby hefty').

Matt

dsyd

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Hehe
. Good to hear all of yours were ok! I think I will just tape off the walls to stop him/her pecking them. It's too cold round here for a box and light to be warm enough...

It is eating and drinking and seems happy so I think it should be fine.

Last edited:

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
wait, so ur lettin em grow up in the bator? usually ppl put em in a brooder box inside with a strong heat lamp on it.....

dsyd

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Yes just for this week - the temperature fluctuations are too extreme at the moment to put it in a box, I think it would be too cold at night. When it gets some proper feathers I'll give it a bit more space. Don't really see why the incubator should work any differently.

Top Bottom