chick eating this

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smokeyodie97, Jul 15, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    can my day old chicks eat big girl food.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

They really shouldn't. Layer feed has added calcium in it which has a tendency to deform chicks. It is also not as high of protein that the chicks need for growth. With that said, is this a short term thing to where you can get to the feed store to buy chick starter? Or are they out with their mama in a common area? When our broodies hatch out, the chicks get what everyone else eats if they are in our common pen. We try to have pens available for each of the broodies and their clutches but sometimes that does not work. We throw out layer crumble to our birds as a treat, they normally eat layer pellet but they think they are getting a treat with the crumble. But we will also take down some chick starter and throw it out by the mama and her chicks. We haven't had any growth problems in the past three years with this method.

3. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    no they sould not they sould eat chick starter. [​IMG]

4. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    oh oh thanks

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    We just fed our chicks poultry grain. We do grind it up though as the babies cannot eat the big bits. Plenty of grinding and blending!
    But they are all doing fine - only thing is you also need to give them extra protien from yogurt and egg ( Boiled and mashed up)

Hope this help you.
    Seriously don;t give them layers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not good for them at all.

Oesdog [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by