Chick embryo moving but see a Blood Ring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AshVal09, Apr 18, 2019.

1. AshVal09

AshVal09 In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    Hi everyone! :)

I just started incubating my eggs and one batch is doing very well. I have another batch that is incubating at the moment but I'm seeing some of the silkie eggs have (maybe) "blood spots" that are almost in a ring but I've read that it could be blood vessels and not a blood ring since the chick inside is moving strong and that some say don't give up.

Advice? Thank you :)

2. Coffeebean1947

Coffeebean1947 Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Are you able to get candling pictures?

3. LynnaePB

LynnaePB Songster

Mar 30, 2019
    Eastern Tennessee
    Hi, I'll take a crack at answering though please bear in mind I have limited experience (a little over 10 times incubating and hatching).

Candling pictures would definitely help in determining if they look normal or not. But just based off description here's what I've got....

It could be that the blood vessels are forming and growing in a way that looks a little funny and your little ones will be fine, however I've seen babies in the quitting process in my own eggs and I have seen what you are describing several times. It can be hours up to a couple days before the baby actually quits. Once all the blood vessels have completely deteriorated (forming clumps or blood rings with no healthy blood vessels to be seen) and there is no movement (for at least several minutes when examined) the baby has almost certainly passed away. I always leave eggs that I think are quitting in the incubator just in case. So far if I see a start of a blood ring the baby always passes within a few days time and I take it out to eggtopsy only after I am sure it has completely passed. In eggs with darker shells sometimes the veins can be harder to see and I would give those eggs even more time to see if you see any changes. It shouldn't hurt to continue incubating your eggs that are looking funny to give them a chance, they may be perfectly fine! If they are indeed quitting it shouldn't be a problem to have them in there for another week or more to see if they might make it. A lot of people will wait until day 14 sometimes up until day 18 (lockdown) to take quitters out. I've never had a stinky egg but if they start stinking I've heard you should definitely discard them.

Good luck with your babies, I hope the iffy ones just look a little funny and won't quit! :fl

AshVal09 and Coffeebean1947 like this.
  4. AshVal09

AshVal09 In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    That’s really helpful. I’ll take some pictures by tonight but there are webby veins in there along with the chick moving so I’ll leave them in until that time. I’ve just had several I needed to get some due to not being fertile or there’s obvious blood rings. But then again, I’m incubating bhrama eggs (majority lost) and heard they are hard to hatch.

LynnaePB likes this.
  5. LynnaePB

LynnaePB Songster

Mar 30, 2019
    Eastern Tennessee
    How are the silkie eggs doing, are the babies still wiggling inside and have blood vessels? If they are still doing just as well today as they were yesterday I'd think the chance that they were quitting goes down by a decent amount. :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your brahma eggs. :( I hope your remaining ones do well, incubating can sure be trying at times!

starri33 and AshVal09 like this.
  6. AshVal09

AshVal09 In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    Thank you very much for it. Lost two more of my eggs yesterday. It’s hard but I have to tell myself that I’m doing the best that I can since it’s my first time doing this. I have one early batch that’s doing fairly well so I have high hopes for them.

Besides, I can incubate more as well if I want to and probably will. Gotta tell myself to keep on going and that things happen

starri33, LynnaePB and Coffeebean1947 like this.
  7. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My first 7-8 tries at incubating we’re complete failures, I ended up buying a new incubator, and my hatches since then has been awesome.
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you :fl :hugs :fl

8. AshVal09

AshVal09 In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    Lol. Thank you very much :)

It could also be that the first batch was local whether with the other batch was shipped. I’ve heard that they have a lower rate than the others. Still, I hope for the best :(

starri33, LynnaePB and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  9. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That’s what I’m hatching now, shipped eggs. I got 11 in the mail, 1 was cracked so I put wax on it. At 7 day candle, I had 2 not fertile/never started, but the cracked one was good. Day 14 candle, 1 quitter. The cracked one quit around day 16-17. The other 7 are hatching. Well, I have 2 left to hatch. Both pipped, one zipping. :wee

LynnaePB, BirdsBeesTrees and AshVal09 like this.
  10. AshVal09

AshVal09 In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    That’s great. Wonderful ... :)

My first batch will go on lockdown this Monday so crossing my fingers for some chicks. I hope that they do okay along with yours

LynnaePB likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: