1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick embryos in Shell-Less Culture

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cochin378, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    As part of a school experiment in conjunction with my 4H group I am performing several shell less embryo cultures.This method allows for the continuous observation of living chick embryos from day 3 to day 18 of incubation. It will also allow people to see the differentiation of organ systems, extra embryonic structures and pre hatching behavior.

I am also doing bone staining to show calcification of bones in various stages, quantitative growth measurements and the effect of various chemicals on embryo development.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Have a look at recent posts on here by pax12. Similar type of experiments, and detailed on YouTube...

3. Cochin378

Aug 12, 2010
    I think that I have already looked at those. I also think I know why his embryos died.
    Thank you though..I will have a closer look.

4. Cochin378

Aug 12, 2010
    I am using a different method devoloped back in 1974. It has been successful in many universities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by