CHICK EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE READ AND REPLY ASAP IF YOU CAN.!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady233, Feb 15, 2013.

1. chickenlady233

chickenlady233 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Yesterday I had my first pip. It was two days early. I saw the shell had a little hole in it so I have been checking in on it a lot. It is chirping every now and then, but I noticed that there is blood. Last hatch didn't have blood. The pip is also on the opposite side of the egg that the others popped on. It's pip is on the small end. The edges of the pip are whitish yellow. Now I have four other eggs hatching today. They are still chirping and rolling and they aren't taking as long breaks as this one is. I could see the chicks mouth breathing earlier, but now it seems to be further away from the hole and I cannot see it. Can anyone help me??? It has been hatching for two days but isn't making any progress.

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    The chick is hatching from the wrong end. When they are like that they have a very tough time getting out. endless you know how to help them out, there is not much you can do. Trying to help them out means you have to open the bator & chip away at the egg a little bit at a tile & then put the chick back in the bator this could affect the others. I have had some luck simply propping up the egg so the small end is the high point. They sometimes can get out on their own

3. soldonold

soldonold Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Burlington, Kansas
    There are lots of threads about how to help chicks hatch in the Incubation & Hatching Eggs Thread. This one is really good:

Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch Just search this forum for that one. If the chick can breathe, it's in no immediate danger, so just follow the directions and good luck. I've helped several of them hatch, and they turned out fine, except one that had defects and needed to be put down. I sure hope it makes it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by