1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Emergency!!! wound under vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babykitty, Mar 24, 2011.

1. babykitty

babykitty New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    I thought this little baby had some poop on her end so I tried to wipe it with warm water & paper towel, but it's more dried blood, yellowy bile & fresh blood. she's not been in distress (she's upset now--sitting wrapped up in a towel with a wet butt away from the other babies).

What is this? What do I do beside separate her? Neosporin? It looks like bowels, maybe a half inch from her vent. Help!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is the umbilicus. Someone has apparently been picking at it. If you keep her separated and put a bit of iodine on it, it should dry up and close up. Hopefully, there are no actual intestines outside the hole.

3. babykitty

babykitty New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    Well, it's not good. I put her in a separate box and she tried repeatedly to jump out and she started bleeding and a bunch of intestine came out. [​IMG] Ugh. Poor baby.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, crap. I once super glued a chick's umbilicus closed after pushing the innards back in. If the intestines come out, the chick will have to be put down, I'm sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by