KittyRuari

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2019
So recently we had a broody hen and she adopted some chicks we put under her. It worked like a charm, but she was attacked by a hawk earlier today and I’m not sure what to do with her orphaned chicks. Is there any way to get one of my non-Brody’s to take over as mama, or should I just move them to a brooder?
Thanks in advance

Nobody else will take them on. How old are they, and are they already integrated?
They are already integrated as the mama hen took them out into the run with the other hens. None of them seem to care that the chicks are there. They are around 2 weeks old

They are already integrated as the mama hen took them out into the run with the other hens. None of them seem to care that the chicks are there. They are around 2 weeks old
Oh boy. This is tricky. They still need a heat source, and other hens may change their tune without mama there to protect. Can you make a nursery of sorts that keeps them close to the flock? Like a mama heating pad and an enclosure within the enclosure? Once they are a little bigger, you might be able to have them fully with the flock, as long as they have a safe way to get away where the big girls can’t reach them. I’m just thinking integration will be way smoother if you can somehow safely keep them near the big girls.

Oh boy. This is tricky. They still need a heat source, and other hens may change their tune without mama there to protect. Can you make a nursery of sorts that keeps them close to the flock? Like a mama heating pad and an enclosure within the enclosure? Once they are a little bigger, you might be able to have them fully with the flock, as long as they have a safe way to get away where the big girls can’t reach them. I’m just thinking integration will be way smoother if you can somehow safely keep them near the big girls.
We have our brooder built in with the coop so they can hear each other through the temporary separator. At what age do you think I could re introduce them to the flock?

Back
Top Bottom