1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick en masse movement in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ENor70, Apr 6, 2016.

1. ENor70

ENor70 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    I've, what seems to me, a weird issue. I got my chicks a little over a week ago. The heat lamp is over one 1/2 of my brooder, and the chicks have historically congregated near it. Yesterday we moved the lamp up a few inches; now many of the chicks are piling on the opposite side of the brooder where there is no heat lamp. I've kept the bedding clean, plenty of food and water, no cannibalism, etc. They seem fat and happy, but I'm a little concerned about their sudden relocation. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts I'm happy to entertain them. Maybe I'm concerned where there should be none? Thanks in advance.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Sounds like they are too hot. I know you moved the lamp up, how warm is it down there?

3. ENor70

ENor70 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Thanks, OrganicFarmWife. I expanded the brooder today, and kept the light where I'd moved it. It's 85-ish under the light, and in the high 70s on the other side of the brooder. They seem happy now. Thanks for your help!

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    No problem, sounds like they are very content

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by