Chick Enrichment

MilesFluffybutt

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Vermont
Hello BYC Community!

Long story short... I walked into Tractor Supply, saw a cross-beak Silver Lace Wyandotte chick in the bin, decided I needed to give her a chance, and convinced management to sell her to me. I didn't press for a friend for her because I didn't count on her surviving, but here we are three weeks later, and she's thriving.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have on enriching her life because in all likelihood she will be a house chicken.

54519490_782084301204_4112218048167936000_n.jpg

20190326_065143.jpg

Hello BYC Community!

Long story short... I walked into Tractor Supply, saw a cross-beak Silver Lace Wyandotte chick in the bin, decided I needed to give her a chance, and convinced management to sell her to me. I didn't press for a friend for her because I didn't count on her surviving, but here we are three weeks later, and she's thriving.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have on enriching her life because in all likelihood she will be a house chicken.

View attachment 1719942

View attachment 1719950
I just commented on another post you were in showing this cutie. Was this chicken able to open its beak?

My chick isn’t really able to open its beak 😢
Thank you for posting the photo of your chick. A crossed maxilla (upper portion of beak) is a bit tougher to work with because it's stationary. The mandible (lower portion of beak) is the piece that moves. When you watch her, keep an eye on that lower portion to see if she's using it - to scoop food or water, preening, etc. The movements might be slight. If you're positive she isn't moving it, you should do a physical exam of the hinge points to feel if those are fused. If you can't tell, you could very, very, very gently try to open her beak by pressing down on the lower portion - just enough to see if it does move. I'd use a cotton swab. I'll try to dig up sources for a crossed maxilla. I have zero experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom