1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Epidemic! From healthy to Dead in 6 hours

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CSCDoemner, Mar 2, 2014.

1. CSCDoemner

CSCDoemner New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Hi, I'm new to chickens -- just bought 10 chicks (1 - 3 weeks old, various breeds) from a local feed store a week ago. Yesterday, one of the Barred Rocks was acting lethargic, then couldn't stand up (kinda feel over on one side, I thought she'd injured her leg). I isolated her and noticed very slow "panting"... I tried bottle-feeding her some liquids, but within 6 hours of noticing her lethargy, she was dead. Lost an Orpington last night. Now two more are showing symptoms. No vets are open on Sunday -- any thoughts??

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What is the temp in their brooder? Are they able to get away from the heat? What are they eating?

If temps are correct and they have been eating chick starter then coccidiosis always needs to be ruled out with multiple fast deaths in chicks. Get some Corid from the feed store or Tractor Supply and start the remaining chicks on it immediately. If this is coccidiosis you seriously have no time to waste, it will kill them and fast. Any that are feeling to crummy to eat/drink much should be given the medicated water with a small eye dropper or needless syringe every couple hours the first day or so.

Look for the Corid in the cattle supply section of the feed store. Comes in a liquid or a 20% powder, doesn't matter which you use.
    Dose for the powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon, dose for liquid is 1 teaspoon/gallon. Make it up fresh every day and treat for 5 to 7 days. If this is coccidiosis you will see improvement very quickly unless it has progressed to far.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. CSCDoemner

CSCDoemner New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thanks -- heading to the Feed Store now! Will send updates.

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    How is your flock responding to the meds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by