Chick Escaped Overnight?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kiley15, Oct 28, 2014.

1. kiley15

kiley15 New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    Hi--
    First time raising chicks; they're about a week old now and still hanging out in the light a lot. Came into their room this am to find that one of the chicks was missing from their pool. After searching the room I found her huddled under a shelf. Don't know how long she was there but she was very groggy and not chirping and running around once I put her back with the others. Should I be worried about her? Is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks!
    Kiley
    Holualoa, HI, USA

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    No doubt she was chilled; hope she's better now and eating. Fix your brooder to make it impossible for escapes to happen! You need higher sides and a hardware cloth cover. Find another brooder ASAP. Mary

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    If it was still alive when you found it the chick has a good chance to survive. Keeping it warm now and giving it warm liquid is about all you can do. If it doesn't eat and stays lethargic then the chick may have gotten too cold and will eventually succumb.
    I agree with getting a better brooder. The chicks will just keep getting out as they get older and more active. [​IMG]

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Oh, yeah. My two week olds attempt to fly out every time I open the brooder to feed them! If I didn't have a top, they'd be fully free range in the house by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by