chick failing to grow

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamabigbird, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    My neighbor got 3 red sex link chicks at the same time I got mine. They are 14 weeks tomorrow.
    He came over today and mentioned that one of his is only about half as big as the others and has a very large squishy crop.
    I guessed it was sour crop but had no idea if that would stunt its' growth.
    He didn't mention how long her crop has been like that.
    I suggested yoghurt but see that apple cider vinegar is recommended by other BYC members.
    Does anyone know if slow growth is connected to sour crop or is something else wrong?
    He's more likely to cull her than get into expensive treatments. He said he would try the yoghurt though.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If a chicken is not eating enough, not absorbing nutrients properly, or getting enough good food it will stunt their growth. If the crop is squishy or hard or just not right, then yes, I would offer up yogurt to get the bacteria right in the crop. Even some probiotics if you have them will help. Dont' let the crop get to the point of soured or impacted, as then you may lose the bird.

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Well, hopefully my neighbor will try the yoghurt and the poor thing will do better.
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I didn't give him wrong information so it's good to ask for opinions from the folks of BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by